Check out The Corn Exchange Timeline

  • 1987

    Pre 1987 Stone frontages cleaned.

  • 1854

    Formal building opening on August 10th 1854.

  • 1910

    Removal of railing at rear of building.

  • 1914

    Army occupation led to extensive damage, building refurbished afterwards to a higher standard.

  • 1929

    New partition and heating system installed.

  • 1940

    1940 Removal of railing and ornate gates at front of building.

  • 1946

    Building re-opened as the ‘The Empress Ballroom’.

  • 1950

    Lease transferred from the Duke of Buccleuch to Dalkeith Town Council.

  • 1960

    Building used as a training centre by Ferranti, part of the floor was replaced by concrete base for machinery, an extension (to the north) was built for offices, canteen and toilets.

  • 1984

    Museum premises secured

  • 1989

    Proposal to demolish building except for the two facades and erect housing.

  • 1992

    Building sold to David McGill, opened as a Saturday Market.